How to apply

We want to ensure that your application process for live-in-care is as easy as possible, and are here to assist you if you have any questions.

How do I get started?

Application for Goodwin Residential Aged Care can be downloaded here


We’re here to help 

Our Customer Liaison Officers can assist you through the enquiry and application process.

Goodwin House Ainslie:
(02) 6175 5001

George Sautelle House:
(02) 6175 5101

David Harper House:
(02) 6175 5192

We also recommend you visit the government’s MyAgedCare information hub, which has comprehensive, plain-language information about the system, and fee estimators. Visit www.myagedcare.gov.au or call 1800 200 422.

FAQ’s for application

What is an ACAT Assessment?

All applicants must undergo an ACAT (Aged Care Assessment Team) Assessment prior to being offered placement in any residential aged care facility in Australia.

You will not be eligible to enter a residential aged care facility permanently until such time that you have been approved as eligible following an ACAT assessment.

The Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT) is a team of health professionals who, following a doctor’s referral, will visit you at home or in hospital to assess the level of care required.

An ACAT Assessment can also approve your eligibility for in-home care packages and respite care.

For information, or to book an assessment, please contact MyAgedCare on 1800 200 422 or click here to find your local ACAT assessors to call direct.

Goodwin is happy to assist you through this process, and help you to arrange your assessment.

What information does Goodwin require from you?

Our Admissions Officer will provide you with the Goodwin Application Pack for the details you need, and can answer your questions on any of the below. Here is a checklist of the key documents to prepare.

  • Completed Goodwin Application Form
  • Copy of the Combined Assets and Income Assessment
    • It is recommended that you have your income and assets assessed by the Department of Human Services (or Department of Veterans’ Affairs). This assessment will be used to determine the costs you could be asked to pay. If you do not undertake an income and assets assessment, you will be subject to full fees.
    • All applicants must submit to Department of Human Services (DHS)/Department of Veterans’ Affairs (DVA) a request for a Combined Assets and Income Assessment form, which you can find by clicking here.
    • Click here for information on Assets and Income Assessment on MyAgedCare (a hard copy form will be in your application pack).
  • Copy of current ACAT Assessment and the Consent to Release the Aged Care Client Record (the results of the ACAT Assessment)
  • Copy of the Enduring Power of Attorney or Legal Authority (if appropriate).

If you feel the need to include a letter outlining your present circumstances you are more than welcome.

What are the fees and charges for residential aged care?

The business we are in…

What you will pay will be set out in a Resident Agreement between you and Goodwin. It may vary depending on your financial situation, and the room you choose.

Moving into an aged care home may require one-off payments or deposits, as well as ongoing fees for your care, accommodation and daily living expenses.

There are strong protections in place to make sure that care is affordable for everyone. The Australian Government sets the maximum fees for care and daily living expenses, and there are also rules about how much you can be asked to pay for your accommodation.

You may be asked to pay one or more of the following fees in residential care. MyAgedCare provides a good explanation of these fees and charges at this link:

  • a Basic Daily Care Fee: this covers living costs such as meals, power and laundry.
  • a Means-Tested Care Fee: this is an additional contribution towards the cost of care that some people may be required to pay. The Department of Human Services will work out if you are required to pay this fee based on an assessment of your income and assets, and will advise you of the amount.
  • an Accommodation Contribution:this is for  your accommodation in the aged care home. Some people will have their accommodation costs met in full or in part by the Australian Government, while others will need to pay the accommodation price agreed with the aged care home. The Department of Human Services will advise you which applies to you based on an assessment of your income and assets.

MyAgedCare also offers a residential care fee estimator. Click here.

Is it essential to have an Enduring Power of Attorney appointed?

A resident can be admitted into our aged care facility without an Enduring Power of Attorney (EPOA) appointed, however we recommend that it is considered. An EPOA would come into effect if the resident became unable to make their own decisions, according to a formal diagnosis.

Will Goodwin help us with advanced care planning?

Yes. We will work closely with residents and their families/guardians on advanced care planning, as appropriate in preparation for end-of-life care. We recommend that you consider a plan in advance, to ease challenging times. Advanced care planning is addressed in the Pre-admission Pack that you will receive upon acceptance of a placement in one of our facilities.