Our patron, Hon Margaret Reid AO
Goodwin is proud to have the Honourable Margaret Reid AO as our loyal patron of many years.
Margaret was appointed Officer of the Order of Australia in 2004 for her service to the Australian Parliament and the community.
Margaret Reid served as a Senator for the ACT for approximately 22 years, following a 16-year career as a barrister and solicitor.
She was the first woman elected President of the Australian Senate, a position she held for 6 years of her 22-year Senate service.
Margaret established a relationship with Goodwin during her time as Senator, as aged care was an issue of importance to her. In 1994 she commemorated 40 years of Goodwin, with the laying of a time capsule that still rests under the pavers of Goodwin’s Ralph Cartwright Centre in Monash.
She retired from the Senate in 2003 and in 2004 was appointed Officer of the Order of Australia for her service to the Australian Parliament and the community.
Currently Margaret is
- Chair of the Advisory Board of the Centre for Applied Philosophy and Public Ethics
- Chair of the Australian Foundation for Mental Health Research
- Chair of the ACT Committee of The Crawford Fund and as such a
- Board Member of The Crawford Fund
- Member of the Advisory Panel to the Australian Centre for the Study of Armed Conflict and Society
Margaret remains patron of a number of Community organisations, including Goodwin Aged Care Services, ACT Council on the Ageing, and Radio 1RPH.