Home care changes, February 2017

The following changes are happening to home care packages from 27 February 2017, to allow consumers greater choice and control over their services.

These changes are part of national reforms by the Federal Government. Read the FAQs below for what this means for you.

Summary of the changes

  • Home care packages will be allocated directly to a person by the Government (through the My Aged Care system), where previously packages were awarded to a care provider.
  • Consumers are then able to select an approved provider of their choice.
  • This means that home care packages will become portable, which allows consumers to change providers if required, including taking their home care package funding and any excess money they may have with them to a new provider of their choice.
  • There will be a national prioritisation waitlist.

Frequently asked questions


I’m currently receiving a home care package, do I need to do anything?

No, you do not need to do anything. You will continue to receive care and services that you choose. Your current provider will continue services, uninterrupted unless you choose otherwise.


I have been assessed as eligible to receive a home care package, but haven’t started receiving care yet. What do I need to do?

  • You can contact an approved provider (Goodwin is an approved provider) to see if they have any availability for a suitable home care package and enter into a Home Care Agreement prior to 27 February 2017.


  • If you have not entered into a home care agreement by 27 February 2017, you need to contact My Aged Care (run by the Federal Government) to go on the national waitlist. You can contact My Aged Care on 1800 200 422 or myagedcare.gov.au. Goodwin can assist you in contacting My Aged Care.


If I choose to go onto the national waitlist what happens next?

You will be contacted by My Aged Care when a package at a suitable level becomes available and you are then able to select the provider of your choice to commence your care.


I currently have a home care package but would like to transfer to Goodwin. What I do?

Please contact us on 6175 5650 and we will get you started receiving your care straight away!

For more information please access the Changes to Home Care fact sheet from the Department of Health, or visit myagedcare.gov.au.